Swimming Pool Injury Attorneys
PREMISES LIABILITY | DECKS | SWIMMING POOL | HOT TUB
As Floridians there is no denying the safety risks at stake every time we set foot near a swimming pool. There are thousands of pools across Florida and our state ranks among the highest for swimming pool related accident and injures. Unfortunately, accidental drowning and swimming pool injury accidents occur far too often, and frequently lead to the serious injury or death.
The Florida swimming pool accident attorneys at Massey & Duffy, PLLC represent victims and their families who have been injured in a swimming pool accident. Throughout Gainesville and North Florida our legal experts work to help people put their lives back together and recover financial compensation. We take the time to fully understand all aspects and locate all factors which contributed to the accident in order to determine which parties should be held liable. Rest assured that our drowning accident lawyer will listen carefully and review the unique circumstances of your case and the future consequences of all injuries before filing a claim for damages.
Swimming Pool Accident Facts
- An average of 9 people per day are killed in drowning accidents each year in the United States.
- An average of 5,000 children are hospitalized in drowning incidents each year. About 1 in 5 will suffer permanent neurological impairment.
- Drowning is second only to auto accidents as the leading cause of injury related death in children under the age of 14.
- Almost 3,700 people died due to drowning in 2010
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death among children ages 1 to 4.
- Most toddlers (those under age 4) drown in home swimming pools – usually their own pool.
- Fenced pools have been shown to reduce accidental drownings by up to 90 percent.
- One in 5 child drowning accidents occur in a public swimming pool with a lifeguard on duty.
- Private swimming pools are among the most dangerous of aquatic environments, because there is almost never a lifeguard present, or someone familiar with water safety.
- Florida has the highest drowning rate of all states among children younger than 14, according to the Florida Department of Health.
These numbers are staggering. If an accident or injury occurs due to the negligence of a pool owner or defects in a pool design, construction or operation contact the attorneys at Massey & Duffy, PLLC immediately. Please reference the Center for Disease Control (http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/index.html) for additional water related statistics and tips to keep you and your family safe.
As part of our commitment to our clients, we always provide personalized and caring service. At the law firm of Massey & Duffy, we have a philosophy of respect and integrity coupled with an uncompromising pursuit of justice. These values are demonstrated every day in the way we practice law. Our clients can be assured that we will represent them aggressively and with the compassion that they deserve. If you have a legal issue, please contact our Gainesville Florida lawyers today. Our lawyers represent people with all degrees of injury, from soft-tissue to serious and catastrophic injuries, as well as wrongful death.
Gainesville & North Florida Swimming Pool Accident Attorneys
Swimming pool owners have a legal responsibility to maintain the pool, deck and all equipment in a reasonably safe way. If the owner who controls the swimming pool fails to keep the facility safe, then they can become liable for any injuries that occur as a result of negligence. For example, loose swim wear or jewelry may be sucked into a poorly functioning pool drain and keep you submerged long enough to cause injury, the pool owners or occupier may be held responsible. If you or a loved one suffer a swimming injury, it is important to understand your legal rights and act accordingly.
Swimming Pool Accidents Can Occur Under Many Circumstances
A pool owner’s negligence can arise out of sever different scenarios Some of the most common are as follows:
- Lack of lifeguard supervision at public swimming pool
- Gates not meeting code requirement
- Tragic accident with unforeseen events
- Poorly designed swimming pool or area
- Poorly maintained swimming pool or area
- Defective, improperly covered, broken, or poorly maintained suction drains or other pool part
- Lack of adult supervision
- Diving board improperly placed near too shallow water
- Electrical equipment too close to the pool
They also occur in many places, such as private pools, apartment complex pools, public pools, hotels & resorts, parks, water parks, camp grounds, summer camps and portable & inflatable pools.
Near drowning incidents in swimming pool accidents typically result in the brain being starved of oxygen. Leaving the brain without a supply of oxygen for a period of time will result in trauma and medical complications. The effects of such an accident to children may be unknown for months or even years after the incident. For both children and adults near drowning accidents can cause a range of long-term medical issues, which may take months or even years to present themselves. Lack of oxygen to the brain may cause a myriad of issues, loss of memory, coordination and learning problems. Such problems can range for moderate to severe, and can even result in long-term disability or loss of basic functioning. We understand that in the wake of a swimming pool accident there is a lot of confusion and grief, but it is important to seek legal guidance right away.
In a legal case involving a swimming pool accident, the injured party or their family can seek financial compensation from a responsible party, such as:
- a negligent property owner
- a negligent adult who failed to provide adequate supervision
- a builder or pool maintenance worker who either constructed the pool unsafely or failed to prevent accident risks
- the manufacturer of a defective pool part
If you have been injured because a parking facility was poorly maintained, we can help you get full and fair compensation for your injuries. Please contact one of our experienced lawyers at Massey & Duffy, PLLC to help you navigate this difficult time. Your priority should be yourself and focusing on healing. We will focus on advocating for you. Our legal team will work to obtain compensation for your medical costs, pain and suffering, lost wages, emotional distress and other damages that arise from a parking lot accident.
Committed To Improving Lives
Our firm is founded on a sincere commitment to improving clients’ lives. We understand that in the wake of an accident, life as you know it has been shattered. Our goal is to help you put the pieces back together.
We are not a personal injury mill that emphasizes quantity over quality. Rather, we provide personal attention and superior service for each and every client. When you walk into our office, you will be meeting face to face with an attorney. We will walk you through the process and keep you informed at every step of the way.
We are experienced in handling all types of serious injuries, including head and back injuries. Our lawyers understand what judges and juries look for in these cases, and we have a thorough grasp of effective strategies for maximizing your compensation. Whether your case goes to trial or is resolved through settlement, you can rely on us to place your needs and goals first.
Call or Email Our Legal Team
Our attorneys understand that there is no amount of money that can compensate a family for the loss of a loved one. In a wrongful death claim, these damages can be substantial. They can include not merely reimbursement for medical and hospital bills to care for the deceased victim before his or her death, but also damages for the loss of future income or financial support that the deceased victim would have provided to his or her family if the victim had not died. Additionally, damages for the loss of companionship suffered by a surviving spouse and/or children are also factored in.