Getting Florida Residency
There are lots of benefits of staying in Florida and hence a lot of people find it difficult to make residency claims. Even as a university student your residency isn’t guaranteed unless you meet some requirements. According to Florida statute the claimant (the student or guardian who want to attain the residency) must be in one of the following categories before he is considered for Florida residency;
* Must be United States Citizen.
* Permanent resident alien.
* A legal alien who is allowed to stay indefinitely by the United States Citizenship and Immigration services, Cuban Haitian entrant.
Schooling alone in Florida will not qualify students to get legal residency straightforward. You have to stay within the state for at least 12 months before the first semester, this means that students can acquire temporary residency before they’re enrolled to permanent residency. Students that are supported by parents who are out of state are assumed to have the same residency as their parents and all students must be classified as dependent or independent. Before applying for Florida residency there is the need to prepare some documents which will be needed during your application, the following supporting documents will be needed;
* You need voter’s registration card that was issues in Florida.
* Driver’s license issued in Florida.
* Florida State ID card,
* Vehicle registration issued in Florida.
* Proof of address, of course permanent home address is needed which is under the same name of the claimant.
* Transcript that shows you have attended high school for multiple years in Florida, if you have obtained a GED or Florida high school diploma for the past twelve months, it can be included.
* Proof that shows that you have been a full time worker in Florida for at least 30h/week within the period of 12 months.
The following documents also can be used with one of the above documents;
* Florida professional or occupational license.
* Florida incorporation.
* A document that shows you have ties with a florida resident.
* Proof that shows you’re part of florida professional or charitable organization.
* Utility bills payment for the past 12 months consecutively.
* Lease contract and payment proofs for the past twelve months
* Official federal, state or court document that shows you have legal ties with Florida.
Reclassification For Enrolled Students
Students who have already been classified as non-residents when paying tuition fees can be eligible for reclassification. In order to be considered for reclassification; the student, his parents or any legal guardian have to provide strong supporting documents that shows the claimant have been a legal resident for twelve months consecutively, a temporary residence that was obtained for the purpose of reducing tuition fees won’t work.
Reclassification Documents Needed
All the supporting documents you’ll present should be twelve months old prior to your 1st day of your first semester. All documents you present are subject to verification, claimants should not try to present fake documents because it will cause the application to be denied. All documents that will be presented for reclassification are the same as those mentioned above like voter’s card issued in Florida, drivers license and all the rest that are mentioned earlier in this article.
When you want to acquire Florida residency you have to do all you can to provide all the possible supporting documents you have so as to justify you claim, this is a must for students who’re looking for Florida residency for tuition purposes. Most students want to get Florida residency in order to pay for less tuition fees. All the documents listed above are important but the most important one you don’t want to miss is the declaration of domicile. This can be obtained from county court house for Florida County. Without at least providing 2 required documents your residency claim will be considered invalid.
It’s not easy getting Florida residency more especially for students, it’s good to find someone that’s well experienced in such matters, hire a good attorney that can guide you to obtain your Florida residency smoothly without any problem. At Wassey&Duffey we specialize in helping individuals to get their Florida residency quickly, we’ll guide you at every step until the process is done. Call us now if you have any question regarding Florida residency.